Tried it Tuesday: Distraction Bubbles {Jan. 28th}

I'm linking up with Fourth Grade Flipper for the first time for Tried it Tuesday. I love seeing what others are doing and how it worked for them.  Learning is truly all about trying new things!




I have been teaching my second grade students all year about being mindful, resilient and self directed learners.  We are now working on a program called Superflex.


For those of you who aren't familiar with this program it's a social learning curriculum.  My students get to be super heroes and they become "super flexible thinkers" and try not to get stuck on things both at school and at home.


We are introduced to all of the "Unthinkable characters" - personalities that we can have sometimes (or all of the time) and we get can get stuck or stubborn.  Some of the characters I'm sure even YOU can relate to are: Worry Wall, Energy-Harey, Was Funny Once, Brain Eater (distracters).

The Unthinkables' leader is Rock Brain and Superflex tries to "defeat"  Rockbrain by using strategies included in the book. (breathing, walking away, etc) that students learn by practicing.  I have borrowed a Super Hero cape to help us dramatize situations.  Kids love being Superflex! For the first time, I distracted students as I went around blowing bubbles while they worked.  This was definitely not an original idea as I had seen it on Pinterest many times so I am not sure where it originated.  What fun!  Students were NOT allowed to pop the bubbles.  I couldn't believe how well they did.  Check out these students concentrating on their work while the bubbles float down!  Sorry about the blurry picture but I was literally blowing the bubbles then quickly taking a picture before they landed on the tables!



Students are getting super good at recognizing "brain eaters" and distracters.  (Tapping your pencil, doodling, at school, video games or t.v. at home.)

If you haven't looked at this curriculum, I highly recommend it. It goes along great with the Mindup Curriculum .



6 comments

  1. WOW! Your second graders are fabulous illustrators! I have some students that would benefit from this program!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, you know what? These kiddos actually struggle quite a bit in the art department despite my best efforts but when they learned about superflex and could make themselves superheroes - WOW! We are now reading our journal entries about the program and various characters over the PA in the morning and teachers are coming to me saying their kids are loving listening about it and want to do it too!
      :) Shelley

      Delete
  2. Love those super heroes! How cute! This sounds like a great way to teach kids strategies to handle different situations they encounter. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. They are really understanding that they can choose their own reactions. It's a great program!

      :) Shelley

      Delete
  3. This is fantastic! Distractors! Such a neat idea and students really do need practice avoiding them! Thank you for sharing. :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Holly! Don't we all need a little practice in that area! :)

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top