iBrain - How a Teacher's Brain is like an iPhone

Today I had to take my iPhone into Apple to be looked at because the volume wasn't working properly.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Sometimes Siri worked, sometimes it didn't.  I was missing calls and texts and it became a little frustrating.

It is great that the service at Apple is always so good. I must admit though, when I have to go in and get my phone fixed and they tell you to back it up and then restore it to factory settings...I get a little jittery.  My whole life is on this phone! But it was after this little visit with my friend Apple that I started really thinking about my own brain. Here's why:


While I waited patiently for the service tech to tell me that there was a hardware issue with my phone and then bring me a new phone (as it's still under warranty), I had a bit of a surprise.

It was not a hardware issue.  The service tech proceeded to tell me that he thought it was a software issue.  I was still waiting for him to say it was an "Apple" issue when he asked me if I shut off my phone often. (Nope, only when necessary.)  Then he talked about the photos I had stored (I think about 1200 because you just never know when you are going to need to show someone something. You know, like what you had for dinner while in Greece.)  So while I was embarrassed by having so many photos on my phone, iPhone guy informed me that he was a photo hoarder too and had 33,000 stored on the iCloud.  Phew, I felt much better. He went to the back and ran a diagnostics on my phone and double checked the volume hardware.

When he returned, he explained to me that sometimes, these things happen due to a software problem. You know, the iPhone brain.  He said that sometimes our phones just simply get too overloaded then simple things like volume don't work properly.  That got me thinking about my
own teaching brain.

I have a week and a half left of school so reflecting on how busy my brain is right now is easy.  You know the feeling and while it may be like that more at the beginning of school and the end of school it certainly is comparable throughout the year too. All I have to do is show you this list of "events" and I am sure it sends chills down your spine and brings back stress hormones you didn't know you had until it was actually happening.


You know what I am talking about, right? All teachers know the brain overload. When we are on summer vacation recuperation, we start getting back our relaxation mode from last summer.  It takes a while, doesn't it?  I will be sure to click on these summer apps for sure!



This is why it's important to get away during the summer and think of nothing else but yourself, your family and as many things unrelated to school as possible for as long as you personally need it.   Why am I writing this post now in the middle of report card time and end of the year craziness?  ...because I had my iPhone fixed today and that's what inspired this post.  Soon, I will be shutting OFF for a while, for as long as I need to...


...until my next blog post inspiration. But that is fun to me! Then I will be recharged and ready to begin to start thinking about next year.  




(Clipart and Fonts in this post courtesy of: Melonheadz and KG Fonts)

8 comments

  1. I can certainly relate to the overloaded brain. I have found as my aging parents forget more things and I try to help them remember, I then forget my own things. I wonder if this applies to some of our students as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it does Kelly. We can only handle so much. I recently read an article about the "new" Math and how students' working memory is taken up by all of the conceptual understanding we are trying to teach them. Then when it comes to computation, students forget because their working memory is full. Interesting.

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this post. Summer is definitely a time to shut down the teacher brain for a little bit and recuperate. Although I am always thinking about SOMETHING school related, like how cute that border will look or an engaging activity I can't wait to try....I know that in order for me to best serve my students, I must relax and refill myself in a sense. Oh yeah, and I also hoard pictures on my iphone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet words! I'm glad I'm not the only photo hoarder! :)

      Delete
  3. Great post, Shelley! I'm really looking forward to reading for pleasure this summer! I'll put "my feet in the sand and a book in my hand", listen to the ocean and escape! I need to shut off my ibrain!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally! That sounds awesome!!! I love to listen to the ocean too Sally. :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE this post! My brain totally feels that that right now with the Back to School craziness too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling well! Hang in there Brooke! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

      Delete

Back to Top